The idea of working as a makeup artist or a hairstylist used to appeal me in those days when I had just given my class 12 Boards and was filling out College applications. During that period, I had done my fair share of research on taking this occupation up as the means of livelihood. Here is a summary of the information I gathered which will answer all the questions you might have in mind. Also, you need not be a school pass out like me as this option is open for everyone.
Beauty, makeup, basic care, and grooming are becoming a necessity for men and women across all ages throughout the world because of increasing demand for good-looking professionals, personal care, beauty, presenting abilities and also a way of boosting confidence and self-esteem. Also, the fashion and film industries require talented Makeup and Hair artists leading to the creation of a lot of jobs in different specializations. The demand for such services does not get affected even during the recession in the market as marriages, events and films happen throughout the year in India.
The study of Beauty, Grooming, Hair and Makeup is together known as Cosmetology. It is not necessary for one to acquire a certificate or degree in Cosmetology to start practicing the profession but having one significantly increases your chances of better performance and getting better salary/compensation and recognition as they work. Cosmetology Training takes approximately 6 – 18 months wherein students are trained and taught a variety of beauty disciplines like hair cutting, styling, washing, coloring, spa, nail art techniques, makeup application, facials, grooming services such as waxing, foot spa , manicure, threading, bleach and so on.
A host of different options are present to be taken up as specialization :
- Hairstylist ( Salon/Freelance )
- Hairdresser ( Salon/Freelance )
- Barber Stylist ( Salon/Freelance )
- Makeup Artist ( Salon/Freelance )
- Grooming Professional
- Beauty Writer ( Freelance/For publications )
- Product development
- Brand Representative
- Spa Therapist
- Nail Artist
Along with the increasing demand, a host of different institutes have emerged and are providing great knowledge and exposure to young individuals. Take note of this list of few Beauty/ Cosmetology Schools in Delhi :
- Pearl Academy of Fashion
- VLCC Institute
- ALPS Beauty Academy
- Javed Habib Academy
- Delhi School of Makeup by Simmi Ghai
- Women’s Polytechnic Delhi
- Ashmeen Munjal’s Star Salon n Academy
- Shahnaz Hussain’s Women’s World International
- YWCA centers across India
- National and Regional Vocational Training Institutes for Women
Also, seek inspiration from the Top Makeup and Hairstyle Professionals in India:
- Elton Fernandez ( Spokesperson, Maybelline India; Celebrity Makeup Artist)
- Ambika Pillai ( Bridal Makeup Expert )
- Ashmeen Munjal ( celebrity and bridal Makeup and Hairstylist )
- Daniel Bauer ( Leading Bollywood Stylist; Also working with TRESemme India )
- Vidya Tikari ( Bridal Makeup Expert )
How much earning should one expect ?
Professionals under all profiles can earn from Rs.1,500 to Rs. 2,500 for a Day’s work. or say Rs. 15,000 to 20,000 a month. As they gain experience and build reputation the pay increases significantly.
Key factors in deciding whether this is the right career path for you :
Your interests, future plans and dedication towards your passion play a major role in deciding your future. Choosing an unconventional path such as Cosmetology might not be a great idea according to some people around you like your folks, relatives or friends. But if you are passionate enough towards your chosen field, success will follow you wherever you go.
For this you need to think about the following things :
- Do you have an interest in makeup, beauty, and hairstyle?
- Do you like to keep yourself updated with latest trends in fashion and beauty?
- Are you committed to giving your best effort in any task you are offered?
- Are you willing to work making your own way through challenges and offer something new and unique from time to time?
If you answered all the above questions with a Yes, then this is your calling.